Just as in real life the great ones would not have the appeal they have without their trusty companions, the same is true in cartoons. Today, I look at cartoons and the five greatest side kicks in Cartoon history. You are welcome to comment your additions to the list.
- Pinky to The Brain – This was easily my favorite of all time. I loved this cartoon and the similarities to one of my all-time favorite duos – Ed Norton and Ralph Kramden of the Honeymooners.
- Hadji Singh to Johnny Quest – I’m not so sure Hadji was a great side kick so much as I just loved this cartoon growing up. The truth is, Dr. Race Banner was probably the better sidekick to Johnny, but Hadji was his friend.
- Scooby to Shaggy – My love for the supernatural drew me to this cartoon growing up and quite frankly, I don’t know if it were more Shaggy to Scooby than Scooby to Shaggy but either way, one of my all time favorites.
- Barney to Fred Flintsone – Another great cartton and tribute to the Honeymooners. Grew up on this one too.
- Donkey to Shrek – Perhaps the funniest and really not a cartoon, rather animated. But Eddie Murphy MADE this part and was perfect addition to Mike Myers as Shrek.